What is Leadership Development and How Does It Compare to Leader Development and
Leader development focuses on the development of the leader which may include personal attributes, behaviors, thoughts and feelings. This type of development focuses on the person.
Leadership development focuses on the process. It includes social influence, team dynamics and more.
Forbes compared leadership development with leadership training. Here’s what they said. FORBES Article
Leadership development needs to address both the individuals (to become leaders) as well as the interpersonal connections on the team.
What Are the Steps For Leadership Development?
Oracle stated there were 7 steps for effective leadership development:
- Determine the best style of leadership for your organization
- Identify current and potential leaders within the company
- Identify leadership gaps
- Develop succession plans for critical roles
- Develop career planning goals for potential leaders
- Develop skills road map for future leaders
- Develop retention programs for current and future leaders
To read more about Oracle 7 steps, go HERE.
So how to I create a leadership development program?
Inc. magazine gave these steps:
1. Assess Your Goals
One question they encouraged companies to ask was: What do we want our future leaders to accomplish?
2. Identify Leadership Candidates
A key point to remember that the best employees don’t necessarily make the best managers.
3. Use Real World Examples
Case studies and stories do a better job than just training on tasks.
4. Leading in a Global Economy
With employees being all across the world, being able to build personal relationships is key.
To read more about the Inc. article click HERE.