What are the best leadership traits for 2018?
Leadership traits and skills are needed in every environment. The environment and the team will dictate the most effective traits. But what are ones that are universal and consistent throughout organizations and teams?
We are always asking people at different organizations what leadership traits they admire and respect, what leadership traits they want to learn, and what leadership traits set leaders apart.
Below are the top 5 leadership traits:
- Communication – Communication by far has been a top trait and skill listed. What do we mean by communication? Communication is the ability of the leader to relay information to the team, respond and reply to the team, and effectively interact with the team. In a recent survey, the amount of time it took a manager to respond to an email was a key indicator of the manager’s rating.
- Listening – Listen to listen. Listen to understand. Listen to connect. Give people a chance to be heard, listen to their ideas, and take action on those ideas.
- Honesty – 46% of employees said they were not confident that the information provided by their employer regarding the overall health of the business is a fair representation of reality (Kimble Applications). Being honest is about giving your team the good news and the bad news. They need to trust that you will tell them the truth always.
- Accountable – Leaders have to hold their team accountable in order to achieve goals. But just as important if not more important, a leader must hold himself/herself accountable. By consistently being accountable, you lead by example and it helps others with their own accountability.
- Feedback – People want feedback. They want to have the opportunity to improve. They want both the good and the bad (even though it may not seem like it). Give feedback in a timely manner on a consistent basis.
Are there any leadership traits that you admire that we didn’t list?